Tuesday 21 May
Wild boar (Sus scrofa)
- The wild boar is the ancestor of most domestic pig breeds and has one of the largest distributions of all of all terrestrial mammals.
- The female wild boar typically gives birth to between 4 and 8 piglets, although litters of up to 13 have been known.
What’s the World’s Favourite Species?Find out here.
Wild boar fact file
- Find out more
- Print factsheet
Wild boar description
Information on the wild boar is currently being researched and written is currently being researched and written and will appear here shortly
- Also known as
- Eurasian wild pig, Ryukyu Islands wild pig.
- Sus andamanensis , Sus aruensis , Sus babi , Sus ceramensis , Sus enganus , Sus floresianus , Sus goramensis , Sus natunensis , Sus nicobaricus , Sus niger , Sus papuensis , Sus ternatensis , Sus tuancus .
- Sanglier, Sanglier D'Eurasie.
- Jabalí. Top
IUCN Red List (April, 2010)
- view the contents of, and Material on, the website;
Wild boar status
Classified as Least Concern (LC) on the IUCN Red List (1)Top
This information is awaiting authentication by a species expert, and will be updated as soon as possible. If you are able to help please contact:
Terms and Conditions of Use of Materials
Visitors to this website (End Users) are entitled to:
Additional use of flagged material
Green flagged material
Creative commons material
Any other use