Endemic to St Helena in the southern Atlantic Ocean, the boxwood was previously widespread in the southeastern region of the island, and was known from areas such as Long Range, Stone Tops and Boxwood Hill (2). The species was first discovered in 1805, but by 1875 it was already rare and was thought to be extinct by the turn of the century (3). Miraculously, a single specimen was rediscovered in November 1998 and although it was close to death from an infestation of mealy bugs, 400 seeds were collected for possible propagation (3). A further six wild specimens were discovered in 2001 and (as of April 2003) the wild population numbered 16 individuals (5). However, only one of these can be considered to be mature and this individual has supplied most of the seeds for cultivated populations (5). Cultivated plants are held at the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, the Royal Horticultural Society at Wisley in the UK (3), and on St Helena itself at the Environmental Conservation Section Nursery at Scotland (5).